I have a 2y old Lenovo X61s running ubuntu jaunty. Ever since I acquired I’ve been rather unimpressed by battery life-time which seems to be max 1.25-1.5h (2h if I’ve just got it on but not doing anything). This lifetime is achieved when:
- Switching off wifi, bluetooth, usb etc
- Switching laptop mode on
- Turning down backlight to around 30% or below
- Plus anything else powertop suggests
I should note I’m usually doing some kind of actual work though nothing too intense (if I start running lots of tests that use the DB, or using a browser battery life falls). Under these conditions I can get power usage down to 11-12W though more usual during actual work is 12-14W.
I’ve finally got around to doing some googling around (I’m thinking of getting another battery) and discovered:
- There are three battery types for X61s:
- Thinkpad X6x 4 cell slim line battery 28.8 Watt hours (3 hours @ 9.3 W/hr)
- Thinkpad X6x 4 cell cylindrical battery 37.4 Watt hours (4 hours @ 9.3 W/hr)
- Thinkpad X6x 8 cell battery 74.8 Watt hours (8 hours @ 9.3 W/hr)
- I almost certainly have 4-cell slimline (least power).
- According to this useful thread my battery life is poor but within the parameters (in particular 2.5h battery life mentioned seems to depend on power usage around 9.5w)